Monday 16 November 2009

The Long Tail - Chapter 1

I got through chapter one of The Long Tail Last night and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The book seems very readable and I'm looking forward to getting properly stuck into the rest of the chapters.

He discusses some really interesting ideas, like how "Many of our assumptions about popular taste are actually artifacts of poor supply and demand matching" (Anderson, 2006:16). He goes on to describe how the online retailers like Amazon and Rhapsody are making big money by selling to niche markets, and outlines the long tail concept itself.

It's thought-provoking stuff and really makes sense once you get into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of direction he takes for the next few chapters. Sorry for the shortness of this one but I'm wrecked from being in late doing assignments. I'll try and be more elaborate and insightful with the next few posts!

Reference
Anderson, C. (2006) The Long Tail, London: Random House

No comments:

Post a Comment